Friday, November 7, 2008

My New Friend

This is my new favorite funeral story:

Today I was co-directing a funeral in the Chapel of Roses at Oak Hill Funeral Home.  We got there early and had everything set up early so we were just hanging out in the music room in the back of the chapel.  For those of you who have never been in the Roses it is very beautiful. On the front wall there is an amazing water fall and if you haven't noticed there are two fake ducks living there :)  On the two side walls there are stone planters with live plants.  While we're siting back in the music room,  I looked over and saw a lizard sitting on a folding chair next to the planter!  He was about six inches long and just hanging out there like he belonged siting in that chair.  I kept thinking that I wish I had a camera.  After a while he jumped down and crawled into the sun.  

After taking care of things to get the service started, I went back to see if he was still there but he was gone.  Then, about half way through the service, I saw him siting on the chair again.  This time, he jumped down and started coming into the music room.  When he saw me, he just stopped and stared at me for a minute, than ran into the planter.

I don't know if I'll ever see this lizard again.  But at least I know that it's not a ghost making those plants move! 

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Maybe he is the funeral director for the animal funerals. He was staring at you wondering why there was human funeral that day when he had most definitely reserved the chapel that day for the squirrel who had passed recently.

Georgia said...

The things you come across at funerals that people never realize happens.

Nana Laurie said...

You know... I think you and Sam have enough room for a pet lizard! Have fun this weekend.