Thursday, April 30, 2009

Poetry Month

I just learned that April is Poetry Month!  I've been collecting poems for about four years now so I have lots of favorites.  Since I've been working in the funeral business I have a lot of funeral poems.  And even more recently I started collecting Dr. Seuss quotes.

My two favorite poems are written by my Grandpa Tilton:  "Bubble Jum" and "Lamentation of a Squirt Gun."  They are both long so I'll spear you but let me know if you're curious.  

I would like to share this one with you.  It's called "A Smile for You" but I don't know the author.
Smiling is infectious, you can catch it like the flu, 
When someone smiled at me today I started smiling too. 
I passed around the corner and someone saw me grin.  
When he smiled I realized I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile, then I realized its worth,
A single smile, just like mine, could travel around the earth.
So, if you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick and get the wold infected.  

7 comments:

Nana Laurie said...

Love your poem!

Stacey said...

In light of current condition of the world's health with the swine flu pandemic, I am deeply offended by this poem.

Toni Lynn said...

Stacey is such a butt.
Brandon was showing me his binder that had those two poems you mentioned in there - I really like them, too! :)

Nana Laurie said...

Poetry is such a personal thing and the sign of a really good poem is that it arouses emotions in people.
And now you know that your blog is well read :)

Kelsey said...

I thought the poem tied in pretty sell. Instead of spreading or cathing the swine flew, chare a smile!

Thanks everyone for reading!!

Georgia said...

You made me smile today in reading your poem. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm happy to catch your smiles anytime.

carl said...

in my art class we have a saying. "if it does not offend you then it is not art." but i dont see any thing wrong with this.